my pics

my pics
True happiness shared!

Sunday, May 23, 2010

Acknowledgement and Expectancy

One of the loves of my love (I have two, incredibly luckily) once said to me that the person/s you have in your life are to be there to acknowledge your life. We all need to feel like someone has noticed that we are, or have been, around.
This afternoon I had a drink with an acquaintance that mentioned the same thing, but he felt that ‘why have someone in your life to acknowledge your life just because you don’t want to be alone?'
I think this is such an interesting topic of discussion.
I think it is important to have the acknowledgement and I agree that it shouldn’t just be because you don’t want to be alone.
Does this acknowledgement of your life only come from your lover or are we forgetting that family and friends are also acknowledging our lives that we spend alongside them all?

I have been very fortunate to have found not one, but two loves of my life. They are both completely different individuals that have had a profound influence on my life but also made me feel like I am a better person because I have them in my life. Through good times and bad times I will always have them with me no matter which way our paths go. The meager thought of them both puts a smile on my heart. I can only hope that I had as much an influence in their lives as they have had in mine. If anything happens to me, I am sure that they will be able to acknowledge my life because of the time we have, have had together, as I will always be able to acknowledge their lives. They have been my loves, my family, and my friends and realistically are part of my life. But my life is for me to live out, as their lives are theirs to live out - yet still the acknowledgment exists!

We are faced with choices on a daily basis and although my choices of late seem to have been bad choices, no matter what the outcome, they will always be with me as I’m sure I will always be with them. This is something that I feel brings us to a little cross-roads because I wonder if we are not all too expectant of what we want from the people in our lives.
In another talk today I listened to another friend discussing how she had no idea of how her lover was moving within the relationship. She wanted one thing while it seemed the lover wanted something else.

I then got thinking; what makes us expect something from another individual? Is it that within the relationship we are so preoccupied with what we want from the other person that we forget to look at what we want for ourselves? Do relationships make us forget that we should be looking at ourselves first and what it is we want, so that we can then enjoy our lives and thereby share the joy with the person in our relationship? Does sex in a relationship allow you the right to expect things from your partner that you don’t expect from the other relationships in your life?

We all have many relationships in our daily lives. We have our lovers and our friends, yet we seem to expect more from our lovers then we do from our friends. Why is that? Should our lovers not be our best friends? Should we not be able to express our joys and our sorrows, bad and good, with our best friends? And should that just be a sounding board for our own lives because they should be able to give honest opinions of what they think? Why then does this create expectancy from our lovers? We don’t expect half these things from our friends, who we often enough share more details with then our lovers?
Are we all only sharing certain things with certain people because of the certain expectations that we have from each of them individually?

I realize now that I have been a big culprit in this. I realize that I share my emotional things with my friends so that I don’t come across as a weakling to my lovers. I am at fault in that I expect my lovers to think of me as weak, yet rely on my friends to see me as strong. I know I have shared more with my two best friends then I probably shared with my two lovers, and I now realize that it was wrong. It was wrong because I expected from each of these relationships something different. But is it wrong whe its my decision to make or is it me wanting to conform to society?

Can we as humans live without expecting anything from others, no matter what the relationship? Would this perhaps make it easier for ourselves, and is it at all possible to not expect anything at all?

We are all human and we are all on our own journeys in this life. Why then do we expect so much from others when we are not giving as much as we should in return?

My wish to the universe today is this;
Help me share more
Help me expect less
Help me be kind to everyone in my life without being expectant of anything in return.

Life is a wonderful journey to be acknowledged and we should remember this each and every day, for it is our life, and our life alone, to be enjoyed.

Wouldn’t learning to share this joy, without expecting anything in return, be that much more rewarding for us all and a great way for our friends and lovers to acknowledge us at the same time?

No comments:

Post a Comment