my pics

my pics
True happiness shared!

Friday, May 28, 2010

Is life being lost in translation?

Every day we communicate with each other and every day I see people being misunderstood yet we all speak the same language! Have you ever watched people from different countries trying to speak to one another?
I speak English and you speak French. I know you can speak very Basic English and yet you do not understand what I am trying to say to you so I raise my voice. Do I really think that you will understand me because I raise my voice? I can vouch for this as I myself have had it done to me. It’s a funny situation really!

The translation that I am referring to however, does not respond to different languages and the speakers of the different languages. It’s the basic communication ‘eloquence’ that we seem to miss in life. I know of two very special people in my life that don’t have this problem when they communicate. I do however, have this problem and although I’m sure it gets very frustrating for my two friends, I know that I am not alone in being like this. In my first posting I mentioned that I am not really a writer, yet I have found it to be a means of outlet for me and what I am going through – and realistically I’m stepping out of my comfort zone doing it.
Do you all understand the way I am writing or are you all just taking your own messages out of the writting as you see them?

We all use sms and email on a daily basis and many a misunderstanding has come from these sms’s and emails. I myself have been part of these types of misunderstanding and have seen it happen many other times with many other people; I have written something down, and had an angry call thereafter, or a reply sms, with TOTALLY the wrong thing being taken out of the message I sent. Ring a bell?
I think it comes from the way we are all feeling at the time we send and receive the message. A simple “I am so happy for you!” can be read in so many ways. My endorphins may be spinning out of control as I write - feeling energized, high and in exceptionally good spirits - while you are feeling low and sensitive and rather down. You read it as a snide remark and retaliate with something hurtful. I am at a loss for words as to where this snide remark comes from!
It’s lost in Translation!
Technology has made the world smaller but also cold and less personal in the process. How do we get the message across that we want to get across in the manner in which it is meant, without anything being misled, misconstrued or simply misunderstood? Is it even possible?

I am a giving person. I give of myself and I have good intentions almost all the time. I am human and I do get angry and I do have a bitching side to me that comes out occasionally but not too often. I give of myself to my friends, my family, my colleagues and my clients with the best of intentions. I have been taken advantage of, because of this, in many instances. I have been misled because of it and when you give of yourself and you get misled it is very hurtful. Am I supposed to become hard, cold and less personal because of it? Are others entitled to take me for granted and cross boundaries because it suits them? I think not.
Am I in this process being lost in translation?

Is it possible for us to live in a world where these translation boundaries get crossed where people understand everything we tell them, take it in the spirit it was originally meant and build on a prosperous future because we all understand one another?
How much are we thankful for and feel blessed for, for getting where we are in life?
Does entitlement allow you to take advantage of certain situations and certain people because you think you can? Why is it that people are not happy for what they have been given, for where they have reached or for how well they are situated?
Is this all being lost in translation?

We all want to get ahead, we all want to be understood and we all want a pat on the back when we have achieved.
Why then does it feel like we are constantly being taken advantage of?
Why are we constantly being hurt?
Is life itself being lost in translation because we all seem to not have time for one another or are some people just out to get what they can while some of us get hurt in the process?

I can only say that I don’t want to be like these people. I work for what I have and I do it in the most honest and giving-of-myself way that I can.
I suppose my translation lesson is that I am just going to have to deal with the hurt and the disappointment in the way that certain messages are giving me.
Life doesn’t suck and I can go to sleep with a clear conscience at night and I am happy for that!
Maybe we just all need a better translation service to make it seem better!
We are nice people after all.

2 comments:

  1. Laat geduld en vriendelikheid vandag jou woorde, dade en gedagtes kenmerk.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Even speaking the same language we don't understand one another. Have you ever noticed how people speak louder and louder and slower and slower and over pronounce their words more when they are speaking to someone who does not understand their language ......silly hey! goo goo gha gha is goo goo gha gha never mind how loudly or slowly you say it. Gotta laugh! H

    ReplyDelete