my pics

my pics
True happiness shared!

Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Engaging

The online free dictionary definitions are many, but Im choosing to use this one:
Transitive Verb - To attract and hold the attention of; engross: a hobby that engaged her for hours at a time.
Intransitive Verb - To involve oneself or become occupied; participate: engage in conversation.

It’s about what we do. Being engaged in a career, a conversation, a hobby or even a luncheon has our full attention and time just disappears.

A recent article I read said that it takes about 10 000 hours to become great at what you do and the first thing that popped into my mind was – who wants to spend 10 000 hours doing something you don’t like? So many of us find ourselves in the fortunate position of loving what we do and many more of us have the unfortunate position of not loving what we do and in this respect Im referring to work or career aspects of our lives.

Isn’t it amazing that when we are engaged in something that we enjoy, time seems to fly? We put our full focused attention into something and 3 hours will pass without even realizing it. We are happy and we are content. We are giving our heart and soul to the attention we place in our interest, and time just slips past. This sort of time slipping past is very good. It gives our auras a shiny glow and it has our brain working like the most advanced computer. We become sharp!

I mention this because I think we should all be making progress on a daily basis. Everyday should be a step forward and being engaged in what we do seems to make it that much easier. We don’t have to be perfect at what we do but we should be enthusiastic about it. I think this enthusiasm is what eventually will get us to the perfection stage, even though as humans none of us are perfect.

As I strive towards my passion I realize that time flies when I am engaged in my passions. I know that it would be senseless to give up my day job as I have to also be a realist in that I have financial responsibilities to stand up to. My day job is the part that allows me the tranquility, in a sense, to not have to stress about my financial obligations. I am however working towards my passion and with hard work and perseverance I will succeed; I have no doubt in myself of that. I just don’t want to go bankrupt in the process!

So I then start looking at the plotting part of how to get my passions to be fully advantageous to me and at the same time make sure that it is financially rewarding enough for me to be able to cover the obligations I have, like rent, food, petrol etc. TO get to this point of my journey I need to start looking at the point A and the point B of my vision.
Point A – where am I now?
Point B – where do I want to be?

Ive come to realize that is very important to understand where I am NOW. That’s been my realization I suppose through this blog that I started a month ago. When I go back and re-read some of my thoughts and happenings, I realize I have made progress on the personal front and at the same time started understanding my passion for life. I am at the point of ‘Where I am’ – and I must say that it’s a good feeling. I often say this - we are today because of what we did yesterday. I am willing to spend 10 000 hours on myself to get to this understanding and be great at understanding myself, but I think its not necessary right now to spend that amount of time. IN reality we spend far more than that as we live our lives and as our lives change.

Im now at Point B – Where do I want to be?
Gosh, and I am actually very excited by the prospect. Ive finally come to realize that I have a map in front of me, but what’s the use of a clear slate if you don’t know where you are or where you want to be?
It’s a very exciting time in my life. It’s unnerving in that I step forward confidently but never know what awaits my next step, but that is all part of the excitement.
The universe is actually opening up doors for me that Ive been too blind to see, too preoccupied to realize, and I refer back to my friends words – there are none so blind as those who do not see!

Im engaging in myself and Im engaging in my time and my energy in looking at the map of my life and choosing where it is I want my point B to be!

Engage
Engage
Engage

No comments:

Post a Comment